DIY Wipe Recipe: Mosquito Repellent
- On June 22, 2021
Mosquito season typically begins when the weather starts warming up. Mosquitos are not only annoying, but there is also a risk of them spreading disease. Before heading out this summer, it is a good idea to prepare in advance to have a defense against these pesky bugs. Unlike store bought bug repellents, this homemade solution is natural and non-toxic on the skin.
Keep mosquitoes at bay this season with our simple, natural DIY wet wipe mosquito repellent recipe.
This recipe was inspired by the one at Better Homes & Gardens.
- 1 Canister of Roxton DIY wipes
- 1 1/2 cup distilled water
- 3/4 cup rubbing alcohol
- 3/4 cup castor oil
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 45 drops of a mosquito-repelling essential oil (citronella is the most commonly known solution, but lemongrass oil, cedarwood oil, or a combination of lemon and eucalyptus oil will also work)
- In a separate container, combine distilled water, rubbing alcohol, castor oil, lemon juice and your choice of essential oils together. Mix well with a metal spoon (so the oils don’t penetrate it). This is your magic mosquito-fighting juice! Citronella oil is thought to repel mosquitoes, and castor oil has anti-inflammatory benefits, which will help soothe your skin if you happen to get a bite.
- Pour your homemade solution in the Roxton DIY Dry Wipes Container
- Let soak for at least 10 minutes to allow wipes to become fully saturated
- Use mosquito repellent wet wipes on exposed skin, being careful to avoid your eyes, as needed to keep pesky mosquitos at bay!
Increase or decrease recipe in proportion depending upon desired saturation.
Make sure your container is sealed tight after every use to ensure the wipes stay damp and fully saturated with the repellent mixture. If they do happen to dry out, simply mix up another batch of repellent solution and pour into container.
When making your own DIY wipes and especially if you are making multiple recipes, you should always remember to label your containers to know what ingredients are inside. Roxton’s DIY Dry Wipes are available for purchase of one 160 count container or a bundle of four 160 count containers.